Hinman Island Park
Hinman Island Park is located on Hinman Island Drive, between Landa Park and Prince Solms Park.
A beautiful, tree-shaded place to enjoy the Comal River. Perfect for scuba, snorkeling, swimming, tubing and fishing. Facilities include a playground, restrooms, picnic tables and easy river access.
Walking / Jogging Path
On the Comal River - River Access
Ownership and History:
August 17, 1925—Landa Milling Company placed an easement on the land. Easement then transferred to Comal Power Company and to Harry Landa.
April 26, 1934—Harry Landa sold the property to A.J. Hinman.
November 20, 1957—the city of New Braunfels purchased 56.16 acres for $55,000 from A.J. Hinman. The park was bought with bonds where voters had to approve the issuance of the bonds in an election held December 1957. The bonds passed and the park was named after Mr. Hinman.
The original purchase was for 56.16 acres. The majority of the acres were given to the Landa Park Municipal Golf Course so that the back 9 holes could be built, turning the golf course into an 18-hole course. The remainder was developed as a park.
1980—The Wurstfest Association pledged $50,000 to improve the erosion control on the river banks in the park.
November 3, 1982—improvements and renovation to the park were made possible by a Texas Parks and Wildlife matching grant of $120,000. The money was approved and bids were received on January 4, 1984. The improvements added drinking fountains, picnic areas, one playground, the trail, and the swimming platforms.
2005—The Rotary Club of New Braunfels donated one of the playgrounds to the park.