Teams of volunteers are needed for the 4th Annual Dos Rios Watershed Cleanup Challenge, happening the entire month of October.
For 2020, the Dos Rios Watershed Cleanup is transforming from a single-day event into a month-long citywide cleanup challenge. Participants will be able to choose their own cleanup locations and the challenge is to collect as much trash as possible.
Here's how the challenge works:
- Teams can be made up of as many people as you can get to participate. The more participants on your team, the more trash you can collect throughout the month!
- There is no need to preregister. Just get out there and start collecting trash!
- You can select any location that needs to be cleaned up, including neighborhood parks, City parks, drainage ponds, drainage channels, roadways, or hiking trails and you can change cleanup locations throughout the month. The City can also provide you with some suggested cleanup locations near your home or business.
- Gloves, trash bags, and other supplies are also available for pickup at City Hall or you can arrange for contact-free delivery at your home or business.
- Each time your team is in action, take a photo showcasing your bags of trash. Photos are then uploaded and submitted to the City using the Dos Rios Team Report Form, and the City will keep track of your team's progress throughout the month.
- All public health best practices should be followed during cleanup events, like social distancing, mask wearing, and hand washing. More information can be found here.
- Brag about your team on social media! Feel free to post photos and videos of your team participating in the cleanup and use the hashtags #DosRios2020 and #NBTX so that others can find your posts.
- At the end of the month, the top two teams that have collected and documented the most trash will win a special prize. A third prize will be given to the best cleanup photo submitted via the hashtag #DosRios2020. All participants who report their cleanup efforts through the Dos Rios Reporting Form are eligible for a gift provided by the City. This year’s cleanup event and giveaway prizes are supported by our generous sponsors, including Cemex, CoPilot Creative Co., HEB, Home Depot, and Lowe’s.
“This is a great time to get out in the community and help protect our local rivers and waterways,” said New Braunfels Watershed Program Manager Mark Enders. “Not only do we encourage everyone to keep public health in mind, but we also want volunteers to dress appropriately for the weather, since they will be outside collecting litter from river banks, roadsides, and drainage areas. Long pants, hats, sunscreen, and closed-toe shoes are highly recommended.”
Since 2017, approximately 450 volunteers have helped collect over 4,000 pounds of litter in and around our local rivers and creeks as part of the Dos Rios Watershed Cleanup event.
“This is a great opportunity for the community to come together to keep our watersheds clean. It’s also a great time for anyone needing community service hours. It’s important that we care for our natural resources, and we encourage the community to come out and work together to help protect and preserve our local waterways,” said River Operations Manager Amy Niles.
For additional information call 830-221-4020 or visit http://www.nbtexas.org/dosrioscleanup.