As of Thursday, April 2, Green Waste curbside collection will be temporarily suspended. Read details here.
The collected Green Waste is delivered to the Comal County Rural Recycling location and chipped into free mulch. Curbside Green Waste collection is not provided to apartments, condominiums, or businesses.
Remember, don't trash your green waste - it jeopardizes the program. (¡NO ensucies tus deshechos de jardín y ramas! - in Espanol)
- Use only paper green waste bags, either City-provided or purchased from retailers. Must be 30-gallon size and made of kraft paper.
- Branches: cut into 4-foot lengths and tie bundle with rope or twine.
- Each bag and each bundle must weigh less than 40 pounds.
- Place curbside no earlier than 8:00 pm the day before collection, and no later than 6:30 am on the day of collection.
- Please do not put out more than 10 Green Waste bags each week.
- Do NOT use tape, staples, or anything to close Green Waste bags or they will ineligible for service. Rolling the top down is accepted.
|Acceptable Green Waste||Prohibited Items
Natural Christmas trees
(if 8ft or taller, must be cut in half;
no flocking or decorations)
Palm trees or fronds
Trash (including tape, staples)
As of June 13, 2019, City-purchased Green Waste bags
are no longer available at McKenna Gym.
A limited number of Green Waste paper bags are provided each week at the following locations:
Green Waste Bags
- City Recycle Center - 488 S Castell Ave
- City Library - 700 E Common St
- Landa Recreation Center - 164 Landa Park Dr (Labor Day to Memorial Day Only)
McKenna Gym - 801 W San Antonio St
- City Hall - 550 Landa St
Please take only two bundles each week!
Paper lawn and leaf bags can also be purchased from several local retailers and are clearly marked as lawn and leaf. Plastic bags are NOT accepted.
Bags are NOT for commercial business use!
As easy as making a sandwich, composting is a great way to create fertile soil for your garden or yard, as well as reduce the waste you send to the landfill.
Backyard and worm composting are two simple options.
For more information on composting, click here.
There is no need to bag clippings; grass and leaf clippings can be recycled by simply leaving them on your lawn.
The clippings contain beneficial nutrients and help retain moisture. For finely ground clippings, use a mulching lawnmower.