NBPD Citizens Police Academy
The Citizens Police Academy is a program sponsored by your local Police Department in the hopes of achieving the following goals.
- The Citizens Police Academy is a unique learning experience conducted by the Police Department and designed to give citizens a better understanding of the operation and mission of their local Police Department.
- To bring together citizens of New Braunfels who both work and/or live within the city and surrounding areas, from all walks of life.
- To enhance the participants' knowledge of the New Braunfels Police Department and the City of New Braunfels.
- Promote the active involvement by the participants in a wide range of civic and community affairs.
- To solicit the exchange of viewpoints and opinions of the participants in an attempt to make the New Braunfels Police Department a better service to the community.
- To continue the teaching process even after the academy has completed through members in the Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association.
The Citizens Police Academy is a series of weekly sessions, taught by law enforcement personnel, both civilian and officers, covering a variety of topics like:
- NBPD's Traffic & Patrol Division
- History of the New Braunfels Police Department
- Recruitment/Hiring/Training practices
- NBPD's K-9 Division
- NBPD's Criminal Investigation Division (CID)
- NBPD's 9-1-1 Dispatch Center
The academy meets one night a week from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm for eleven weeks with graduation taking place the twelfth week. All classes are held at the New Braunfels Police Department, 1488 South Seguin, unless otherwise stated.
The academy is free of charge and all items needed for the academy are provided to you by the Police Department. Download the Citizens Police Academy Application. Participation in the academy is open to persons at least 18 years of age, who either live or work in The City of New Braunfels. Most citizens who apply have nothing on their record that would bar them from attending the academy. However, to insure the integrity of the class as a whole, each applicant is screened using their DPS driving record (as well as national, state and local criminal history files) prior to acceptance. No felony convictions are accepted.
Class SizeThe size of the class is limited to 30 students. If necessary applicants are placed on a waiting list for the next class. Classes are held once a year in late winter or early spring. For further information about the academy, you may contact Officer Lucas Crawford at (830) 221-4166 or 830-730-0286 or by email at email@example.com. Click on one of the links above to download an application.
In an effort to bring about a closer working relationship between the New Braunfels Police Department and the citizens of New Braunfels, a Citizen Police Academy has been established. This community relations concept will allow local residents, business people, and community leaders to learn the inner workings of the Police Department while officers discover more about the community and what the community’s expectations are in regard to law enforcement.
The academy will consist of eleven weekly sessions of three hours each designed to educate those in attendance in the various facets of law enforcement in general, and the New Braunfels Police Department in particular. Each night of instruction will be divided into segments, each instructed by a volunteer member of the department or a guest from some other law enforcement agency or related field.
We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to be a member of the New Braunfels Police Department Citizens Police Academy. Download your application online.
It is hoped that the better understanding of each others role in the fight against crime will result in closer cooperation between the citizenry and the law enforcement community.