- Sophienburg Hill Historic District
- Mill Street Historic District
- Downtown Historic District
- Stock Historic District
Sophienburg Hill Historic District
By 1899, C.A. and Emma Jahn had accumulated multiple farm and town lots to form the Jahn Addition. On this plat, Hill Avenue became Grand Avenue. Several houses from this timeframe are of interest. The house at 548 Hill Avenue was designated a Registered Texas Historic Landmark in 2002 and a local landmark in 2003. It was built in 1905 as the retirement home of Friedrich Hofhein. He was a rancher, Grand Lodge President of the Texas Sons of Hermann, as well as Kendall County Justice of the Peace and County Commissioner.
According to Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, the majority of the houses along Academy Avenue and Hill Street were built before 1930. The Craftsman Bungalow Style was popular in the 1920s and two examples of that style are at 222 Academy and 230 Academy Avenue. By the 1930s, the Tudor Style was popular and two houses built by local builder C.R. Roesler can be seen at 285 Academy and 295 Academy Avenue.
See the Sophienburg Hill Historic District Boundaries
Mill Street Historic District
Downtown Historic District
New Braunfels downtown was platted in 1845. The original town plan remains visible today and continues to affect architecture and land-use patterns. New Braunfels’ commercial and residential buildings in downtown may be understood and interpreted through their association with the context of the town’s development. The history of New Braunfels is rich, layered, and complex weaving together themes associated with German settlement, agricultural development, industrial and commercial development, civic and community development and residential settlement patterns.
The Period of Significance for the Downtown District is from 1845 to 1940. Resources exemplify a number of property types and architectural styles associated with the context of the development of New Braunfels. As a grouping, the resources illustrate New Braunfels’ evolution from a planned community of German immigrants to a thriving industrial and commercial center that took advantage of its location near water power from the Comal River, historic ground transportation routes such as the El Camino Real, and railroad transportation.
Stock Historic District
The smallest of the City's Historic Districts, the Stock Historic District, includes five properties along Coll Street Between Market and Seguin Avenues. The five lots were carved out of Original Town Lots #90 and #153. Early settler Carl Stock received Town Lot #90 in 1845. Records indicate that Carl Stock arrived in Texas as a Verein colonist along with his bride, Maria Heim. However, in truth the two were not yet married but presented themselves as such to be eligible for more land.
The Stocks built a single-room fachwerk house which still stands today at 195 Coll Street. Unfortunately, the entire Stock family died within three days of each other in May 1847 due to the Cholera Epidemic which claimed the lives of hundreds of immigrants. Over time Lot #90 was divided into three separate lots: 195 Coll Street, 177 Coll Street, and 163 Coll Street.
Other homes in this district include the 1905 Klenke-Altwein House at 163 Coll Street, a relocated Craftsman Style Bungalow at 289 Comal Avenue, and a circa 1905 Folk Victorian house at 177 Coll Street.