Green waste consists of plant trimmings that residents place in City-provided Green Waste paper bags or bundle with rope or twine for curbside collection on the same day as recycling. This program is only available to residential ratepayers. Download the information flyer.
The collected Green Waste is delivered to the Comal County Rural Recycling location and chipped into free mulch. Curbside Green Waste collection is not provided to apartments, condominiums, or businesses.
Remember, don't trash your green waste - it jeopardizes the program. (¡NO ensucies tus deshechos de jardín y ramas! - in Espanol)
- Use only paper green waste bags, either City-provided or purchased from retailers. Must be 30-gallon size and made of kraft paper.
- Branches: cut into 4-foot lengths and tie bundle with rope or twine.
- Each bag and each bundle must weigh less than 40 pounds.
- Place curbside no earlier than 8:00 pm the day before collection, and no later than 6:30 am on the day of collection.
- Please do not put out more than 10 Green Waste bags each week.
- Do NOT use tape, staples, or anything to close Green Waste bags or they will ineligible for service. Rolling the top down is accepted.
|Acceptable Green Waste||Prohibited Items
Natural Christmas trees
(if 8ft or taller, must be cut in half;
no flocking or decorations)
Palm trees or fronds
Trash (including tape, staples)
Green Waste Bags
A limited number of Green Waste paper bags are provided each week at the following locations:
- City Recycle Center - 488 S Castell Ave
- City Library - 700 E Common St
- Landa Recreation Center - 164 Landa Park Dr (Labor Day to Memorial Day Only)
- McKenna Gym - 801 W San Antonio St
- City Hall - 550 Landa St
Please take only two bundles each week!
Paper lawn and leaf bags can also be purchased from several local retailers and are clearly marked as lawn and leaf. Plastic bags are NOT accepted.
Bags are NOT for commercial business use!
Holiday Tree Mulching
For a limited time after Christmas, natural Christmas trees (free of flocking and decorations) can be dropped off at the City Recycle Center. View info flyer.
December 26 – January 12Drop-off your natural trees at the City Recycle Center.
January 2 – January 12Pick-up free holiday tree mulch at the City Recycle Center.
Click the tabs below to read more.