4th Annual 2020 Dos Rios Watershed Clean-up Challenge
The 2020 Dos Rios Watershed Clean-up will be held as a team challenge for the entire month of OCTOBER!
For 2020, the Dos Rios Watershed Clean-up is going to be a little different than the clean-ups of previous years. The City of New Braunfels is hosting a month-long watershed clean-up challenge where participants can choose their own clean-up locations and attempt to collect as much trash as they can pick up in a month. We hope this can be a fun way to get out of the house, bond with your family and friends, and help keep our beautiful waterways clean and clear of trash.
Here's how the challenge will work:
- A team can be comprised of as many people as you can get to participate. The more participants you can get for your team, the more trash that can be picked up throughout the month. There is no need to preregister your team for this event, just get everyone out there and start collecting trash!
- Each time your team collects trash from a clean-up location, take a photo of your team with the bags of trash. You can upload this photo and add a few details about your clean-up event to the Dos Rios Team Report form and submit that form to city staff. We will keep track of your team's progress throughout the month.
- Brag about your team on social media! Take photos of your team during the clean-ups and use the hashtags #DosRios2020 and #NBTX so that others can find your posts. Post pictures and updates on your favorite social media platform to help bring attention to he challenge and to bask in the glow of your internet fame!
- You can select any location that needs to be cleaned up. Does your neighborhood have a drainage pond with trash in it? Does your neighborhood park have litter to pick up? Is there a roadway near your home that could use a clean-up? These are just a few ideas to consider when selecting a location for your clean-up. Each clean-up event your team participates in throughout the month can be held at a different location that is convenient for your team members to access. Need help finding a location near you? We can help you find a location that is close to your home or business.
- The City of New Braunfels can provide your team with gloves and trash bags to be used during the clean-up challenge. Kits will be available for pick-up at city hall or for contact-free delivery to your front door.
- At the end of the month, the team that has collected and documented the most trash will win a special prize. All participants are eligible for a gift provided by the City of New Braunfels and the generous sponsors of this event.
- All public health best practices should be followed during clean-up events. Information concerning these best practices can be found here: Texas Department of State Health Services - Best Health Practices to Avoid COVID-19
Has your team finished a clean-up event? Use the Dos Rios Team Report form to submit your clean-up information. Don't forget to upload the pictures you took at the event.
Interested in continuing to keep the rivers and watersheds healthy? As a way to further our efforts to preserve the integrity of our watersheds, the City of New Braunfels has implemented an Adopt-A-Spot Clean-Up program to raise public awareness and educate citizens about the importance of keeping our water resources clean and to generate community involvement in activities that promote a healthy riparian ecosystem. Details are available at www.nbtexas.org/adoptaspot.