Driving Safety Course
We Are Moving, Effective September 26, 2016, we will be moving to:
550 Landa Street, New Braunfels, TX 78130.
Our phone and fax number will remain the same.
If you are interested in taking a Driving Safety Course to have your citation dismissed, you must meet the following requirements, on or before your appearance date on your citation:
- Have a valid Texas driver’s license that is not a commercial driver’s license or be active duty military personnel including spouses and dependent children
- Have motor vehicle insurance with your name on the policy
- Have not taken DSC within the last 12 months from the date of your citation
- The violation was not committed in a construction zone when workers were present
- Cannot be speeding 25 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit
If you meet the above criteria, you may request a driving safety course on or before your appearance date on your citation. (Any request after your appearance date must be approved by the Judge and you will be assessed an additional administrative fee).
You may appear in person to make your request or you may mail in your request via certified mail, registered, return receipt requested. When you make your request, you must provide the court the following 5 items immediately:
- Required payment of court costs in addition to administrative fee:
- $114.00 - non school zone violations, if request is LATE, payment due is $179.00
- $139.00 - school zone violations, if request is LATE, payment due is $204.00
- A copy of your valid drivers license or permit
- A copy of your proof of financial responsibility (motor vehicle insurance that shows you are an insured driver on the policy)
- A written statement requesting to take a driving safety course or the DSC request form Download DSC Request Form
- A written plea of either guilty or no contest
You may also electronically request for the Driving Safety Course by clicking here.
Please note: if you fail to pay the cost and fees, fail to submit the required information or fail to mail via certified mail; a plea or payment submitted to the court will be accepted and a judgment of conviction will be entered causing the court to report the conviction on your driving record.
Before Your Appearance
On or before your appearance date, you may mail in the required information and payment via certified mail return receipt requested or you may appear in person. If applying by certified mail, please wait until you have received permission from the court before you take the course.
You will have 90 days in which to complete the course and submit the proper certificate to the court and obtain a certified copy of your driving record from Austin. Upon successful completion and return of your documents to the court, your citation will be dismissed. Both documents, the course completion certificate and the certified copy of your driving record, must be returned to the Court on or before the 90th day to have your citation dismissed.
The Court is not allowed to recommend a driving school. We refer you to the yellow pages of the telephone directory, under Driving Instruction and/or Driving Schools and call a number listed. You need only ask if their school is an approved course for the dismissal of a traffic citation. You can take the course anywhere within the State of Texas so long as the six-hour course is approved by TDLR. You also may take the course on-line or by renting the video.
If you fail to complete any one of the requirements by your due date, you will be responsible for the balance of the fine in the amount of $200.00 and your case will be set for a Show Cause Hearing. A letter will be mailed to the address on your citation.
If you fail to appear at the hearing, a Judgment of guilty will be entered without further notice and the violation will appear on your driving record unless you file an appropriate appeal bond with the Clerk's Office no later than ten (10) calendar days from the judgment date.
You have ten (10) calendar days from the hearing date to either pay the balance of the fine of $200.00 or appeal the Judgment before a capias pro fine warrant is processed. You may waive your hearing by writing to the Court waiving your Show Cause Hearing, and pay the remaining balance of the fine.